Associate in Engineering (AE) – NC A&T State University Co-Admission

The Associate in Engineering, NC A&T State University Transfer Program is intended for students who plan to transfer to NC A&T and study either civil engineering or mechanical engineering. In this program, students take general education and pre-major electives at Guilford Technical Community College (GTCC) and then complete their bachelor’s degree in civil or mechanical engineering after transferring to NC A&T.

Civil engineers design construction projects and build systems in the public and private sector, including roads, buildings, airports, tunnels, dams, bridges, and systems for water supply and sewage treatment. Mechanical engineers design, analyze, manufacture, and maintain machinery including motorized systems.

Admission into the engineering programs is highly competitive, and admission is not guaranteed.

Credentialing Options

Frequently Asked Questions

You will need to follow the general enrollment process for GTCC.  During the advising process you will have the opportunity to indicate your desire to study within this curriculum. Your advisor will help you sign up for the specific courses you need.

Anne Simpson, Department Chair of Engineering, Astronomy, and Physics

Yes, Financial aid is available if you qualify. Please visit the Financial Aid web page or contact the Financial Aid office at 336-334-4822 Option 3.

Yes, this program is recommended if you plan to study Mechanical or Civil Engineering and earn your Associate of Engineering degree at GTCC and then transfer to North Carolina A&T State University to obtain your bachelor’s degree.

Successful students transferring from GTCC to North Carolina A&T State University will be given full credit for the courses in this program upon acceptance to NC A&T and have junior standing. GTCC graduates must obtain a grade of “C” or better in each course and have an overall GPA of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 scale.

Yes, this program is designed for students who plan to study Mechanical Engineering or Civil Engineering.

You need to take Calculus I, II, and III (MAT-271, MAT-272, and MAT-273). This program is designed to start with Calculus I (MAT-271).  If you are not eligible to take MAT-271 during your first semester at GTCC, you will need to spend time taking math classes to meet the pre-requisite for MAT-271 (Grade of C or better in MAT-172) based on your initial math placement. 

You may place directly into Calculus I (MAT-271) if you have met at least one (1) of the following criteria within the past five (5) years:

  • A score of 2 or higher on the AP Calculus AB Exam.
  • A grade of C or higher in an AP Calculus course and an unweighted HS GPA of 3.0 or higher.
  • A score of 90 or higher on the ACCUPLACER College-Level Math (CLM) test.
  • A score of 46 or higher on the trigonometry section of the ACT Compass Math Placement Test.
  • A score of 600 or higher on the SAT Math (580 prior to 3/1/2016) and a grade of C or higher in the North Carolina Standard Course of Study Pre-Calculus course or an equivalent course from another state.
  • A score of 27 or higher on the ACT Math and a grade of C or higher in the North Carolina Standard Course of Study Pre-Calculus course or an equivalent course from another state.
  • A score of 560 or higher on the SAT Subject Test in Mathematics Level 2.